Online ECHO Clinic | August 17, 2020
Presentation Titles: Vaping and COVID-19 | CDC, FDA & Clinical Research Updates
In this series of presentations, Brigg Reilley, MPH, provides a number of valuable COVID-19 related resources produced by the FDA and CDC as well as an overview of recent updates in COVID-19 research. Then, Dr. Thomas Becker provides an overview of the latest research on vaping and COVID-19.
Thomas Becker, MD, PhD, is a medical epidemiologist, and trained in internal medicine, anthropology, and public health; he began his career at the University of New Mexico before moving to the Northwest about 20 years ago. Since his arrival in Portland, Becker has worked with the Northwest Portland Area Indian Health Board and Oregon Health & Science University. He has published on a diverse range of American Indian health issues, including both infectious and chronic diseases. And with the Indian Health Board, he has been involved in etiologic studies, community prevention programs and education programs to improve career opportunities for people in tribes nationwide.
Brigg Reilley, MPH, is an Epidemiologist and Contractor for the Northwest Portland Area Indian Health Board. Mr Reilley provides support for the US Indian Health Service national HIV and hepatitis C virus (HCV) program. He has been working in American Indian/Alaska Native health since 2006. Prior to Indian Health Service, he worked for MSF for ten years in several emergency and non-emergency project settings, and served on the MSF Board of Directors from 2008-2011. He obtained a Masters in Public Health from Tulane University in 1996 and a BA in Philosophy from the College of William & Mary in 1990.
Jorge Mera, MD, FACP, is the Director of Infectious Diseases for Cherokee Nation Health Service, the largest tribally operated health care system in the United States. He oversees surveillance, policies, and programs to treat and prevent the transmission of COVID-19, sexually transmitted diseases, HIV and HCV.
- SalivaDirect: Simple and Sensitive Molecular Diagnostic Test for SARS-CoV-2 Surveillance (medRxiv)
- COVID Tracker – SalivaDirect
- FDA Issues Emergency Use Authorization to Yale School of Public Health for SalivaDirect, Which Uses a New Method of Saliva Sample Processing (FDA)
- Caring for Someone with COVID-19 (JAMA)
- SARS-CoV-2 Induced Respiratory Distress: Can Cannabanoids be added to Anti-viral Therapies to Reduce Lung Inflammation? (Brain, Behavior and Immunity)
- University Of Illinois Creates Saliva COVID-19 Test With A Plan To Use It On Thousands Of Students This Fall (Illinois News Room)