Online ECHO Clinic | January 11, 2021
Presentation Titles: Asymptomatic Transmission
SARS-CoV-2 | Public Health Policy and Practice Updates
In this series of presentations, Dr. Thomas Becker provides a summary and article review of SARS-CoV-2 transmission from people without COVID-19 symptoms. Then, Brigg Reilley, MPH, provides an overview of recent COVID-19 research, updated COVID-19 numbers, and rates in Indian Country as well as a number of valuable COVID-19 related resources produced by the FDA and CDC.
Thomas Becker, MD, PhD, is a medical epidemiologist, and trained in internal medicine, anthropology, and public health; he began his career at the University of New Mexico before moving to the Northwest about 20 years ago. Since his arrival in Portland, Becker has worked with the Northwest Portland Area Indian Health Board and Oregon Health & Science University. He has published on a diverse range of American Indian health issues, including both infectious and chronic diseases. And with the Indian Health Board, he has been involved in etiologic studies, community prevention programs and education programs to improve career opportunities for people in tribes nationwide.
Brigg Reilley, MPH, is an Epidemiologist and Contractor for the Northwest Portland Area Indian Health Board. Mr Reilley provides support for the US Indian Health Service national HIV and hepatitis C virus (HCV) program. He has been working in American Indian/Alaska Native health since 2006. Prior to Indian Health Service, he worked for MSF for ten years in several emergency and non-emergency project settings, and served on the MSF Board of Directors from 2008-2011. He obtained a Masters in Public Health from Tulane University in 1996 and a BA in Philosophy from the College of William & Mary in 1990.
- SARS-CoV-2 Transmission From People Without COVID-19 Symptoms (JAMA)
- “Protects Me, Protects You” Vaccine Campaign
- Intent to Get a COVID-19 Vaccine (Pew)
- Interior Secretary Nominee Rep. Deb Haaland Gets the Covid-19 Vaccination (Native News Online)
- At First Wary Of Vaccine, Cherokee Speaker Says It Safeguards Language, Culture (NPR)
- Facts About COVID-19 Vaccines (CDC)
- COVID-19 Materials for Tribal Community Members (NPAIHB)
- COVID-19 Materials Developed for Tribal Use (John Hopkins CAIH)
- COVID-19 Vaccine Resources (UIHI)
- COVID-19 Information for General Public (UIHI)
- FAQs and Communication Resources for Wildland Firefighters (CDC)
- Improving Ventilation in Your Home (CDC)
- Preventing the Spread of SARS-CoV-2 With Masks and Other “Low-tech” Interventions (JAMA)
- COVID-19 Testing: One Size Does Not Fit All (Science)