Online ECHO Clinic | October 12, 2020
Presentation Titles: Cardiovascular, Neuro, and other Long-lasting Complications from COVID-19 | Public Health Policy and Practice Updates
In this series of presentations, Dr. Thomas Becker provides a summary and article review of cardiovascular, neuro, and other long lasting effects from COVID-19. Then, Brigg Reilley, MPH, provides an overview of recent COVID-19 research, updated COVID-19 numbers, and rates in Indian Country as well as a number of valuable COVID-19 related resources produced by the FDA and CDC.
Thomas Becker, MD, PhD, is a medical epidemiologist, and trained in internal medicine, anthropology, and public health; he began his career at the University of New Mexico before moving to the Northwest about 20 years ago. Since his arrival in Portland, Becker has worked with the Northwest Portland Area Indian Health Board and Oregon Health & Science University. He has published on a diverse range of American Indian health issues, including both infectious and chronic diseases. And with the Indian Health Board, he has been involved in etiologic studies, community prevention programs and education programs to improve career opportunities for people in tribes nationwide.
Brigg Reilley, MPH, is an Epidemiologist and Contractor for the Northwest Portland Area Indian Health Board. Mr Reilley provides support for the US Indian Health Service national HIV and hepatitis C virus (HCV) program. He has been working in American Indian/Alaska Native health since 2006. Prior to Indian Health Service, he worked for MSF for ten years in several emergency and non-emergency project settings, and served on the MSF Board of Directors from 2008-2011. He obtained a Masters in Public Health from Tulane University in 1996 and a BA in Philosophy from the College of William & Mary in 1990.
- Outcomes of Cardiovascular Magnetic Resonance Imaging in Patients Recently Recovered From COVID-19 (JAMA)
- Long-term Health Consequences of COVID-19 (JAMA)
- Association of Cardiac Infection With SARS-CoV-2 in Confirmed COVID-19 Autopsy Cases (JAMA)
- Responding to Outbreaks of Human Immunodeficiency Virus Among Persons Who Inject Drugs—United States, 2016–2019: Perspectives on Recent Experience and Lessons Learned (Journal of Infectious Diseases)
- Recent HIV Clusters and Outbreaks Across the United States Among People Who Inject Drugs and Considerations During the COVID-19 Pandemic (CDC)
- Trends in COVID-19 Incidence After Implementation of Mitigation Measures — Arizona, January 22–August 7, 2020 (MMWR)
- Comparing Associations of State Reopening Strategies with COVID-19 Burden (Journal of General Internal Medicine)
- Learning from Pandemic Responses Across Indian Country (Commonwealth)
- Recommendations on Providing Clear Instructions to Patients Who Self-Collect an Anterior Nares (Nasal) Sample in a Health Care Setting for SARS-CoV-2 Testing – Letter to Health Care Providers (FDA)
- COVID-19 Re-infection Tracker (BNO News)
- Yale designates labs in three states to provide SalivaDirect™ COVID-19 test (Yale News)
- Framework for Equitable Allocation of COVID-19 Vaccine (NASEM)