Online ECHO Clinic | September 2, 2020
Presentation Titles: Public Health Policy and Practice Updates | Clinical Updates
In this session, Whitney Essex, Family Nurse Practitioner at Infectious Diseases Cherokee Nation Health Services, shares dental care and COVID-19 considerations. Then, Dr. Jorge Mera, Director of Infectious Diseases for Cherokee Nation Health Services, shares clinical updates as well as an overview of recent updates in COVID-19 research and practice. Finally, Brigg Reilley, MPH, provides a number of valuable COVID-19 related resources produced by the FDA and CDC .
Whitney Essex, MSN, FNP-BC, is a Family Nurse Practitioner for Cherokee Nation Health Services. Mrs. Essex works in the Infectious Diseases Department, where she is the coordinator for the Cherokee Nation Hepatitis C Elimination program. She assists in the maintenance of general infectious diseases clinical services, as well as the provision of medical care for patients accessing HIV, PrEP, Hepatitis C, and other infectious diseases-related services.
Jorge Mera, MD, FACP, is the Director of Infectious Diseases for Cherokee Nation Health Service, the largest tribally operated health care system in the United States. He oversees surveillance, policies, and programs to treat and prevent the transmission of COVID-19, sexually transmitted diseases, HIV and HCV.
Brigg Reilley, MPH, is an Epidemiologist and Contractor for the Northwest Portland Area Indian Health Board. Mr Reilley provides support for the US Indian Health Service national HIV and hepatitis C virus (HCV) program. He has been working in American Indian/Alaska Native health since 2006. Prior to Indian Health Service, he worked for MSF for ten years in several emergency and non-emergency project settings, and served on the MSF Board of Directors from 2008-2011. He obtained a Masters in Public Health from Tulane University in 1996 and a BA in Philosophy from the College of William & Mary in 1990.
- Guidance for Dental Settings (CDC)
- Framework for Healthcare Systems Providing Non-COVID-19 Clinical Care During the COVID-19 Pandemic (CDC)
- Interim U.S. Guidance for Risk Assessment and Work Restrictions for Healthcare Personnel with Potential Exposure to COVID-19 (CDC)
- Persistent Symptoms in Patients After Acute COVID-19 (JAMA)
- Enanthem in Patients With COVID-19 and Skin Rash (JAMA)
- Epilepsy in time of COVID‐19. a survey‐based study (Neurologica)
- Assessment of SARS-CoV-2 Transmission on an International Flight and Among a Tourist Group (JAMA)