Online ECHO Clinic | September 21, 2020
Presentation Titles: Public Health Policy and Practice Updates | 1918 Flu Epidemic
In this series of presentations, Brigg Reilley, MPH, provides a number of valuable COVID-19 related resources produced by the FDA and CDC as well as an overview of recent updates in COVID-19 research and practice. Then, Dr. Thomas Becker provides a summary of what we can learn from past pandemics relevant to COVID-19.
Brigg Reilley, MPH, is an Epidemiologist and Contractor for the Northwest Portland Area Indian Health Board. Mr Reilley provides support for the US Indian Health Service national HIV and hepatitis C virus (HCV) program. He has been working in American Indian/Alaska Native health since 2006. Prior to Indian Health Service, he worked for MSF for ten years in several emergency and non-emergency project settings, and served on the MSF Board of Directors from 2008-2011. He obtained a Masters in Public Health from Tulane University in 1996 and a BA in Philosophy from the College of William & Mary in 1990.
Thomas Becker, MD, PhD, is a medical epidemiologist, and trained in internal medicine, anthropology, and public health; he began his career at the University of New Mexico before moving to the Northwest about 20 years ago. Since his arrival in Portland, Becker has worked with the Northwest Portland Area Indian Health Board and Oregon Health & Science University. He has published on a diverse range of American Indian health issues, including both infectious and chronic diseases. And with the Indian Health Board, he has been involved in etiologic studies, community prevention programs and education programs to improve career opportunities for people in tribes nationwide.
- Emerging Pandemic Diseases: How We Got to COVID-19 (Cell)
- Study to Describe the Safety, Tolerability, Immunogenicity, and Efficacy of RNA Vaccine Candidates Against COVID-19 in Healthy Adults (NIH Clinical Trial)
- Overview of Testing for SARS-CoV-2 (CDC)
- COVID-19 Vaccination Program Interim Playbook for Jurisdiction Operations (CDC)
- Decreased Influenza Activity During the COVID-19 Pandemic — United States, Australia, Chile, and South Africa, 2020 (CDC MMWR)
- From the Factory to the Frontlines: The Operation Warp Speed Strategy for Distributing a COVID-19 Vaccine (HHS)
- Vaccine Adverse Event Reporting System (HHS)